Without Ceasing


Alarm bells go off somewhere in the distance and I force my eyes open, slowly taking in the dark room.

It happens…


I get on my feet and start to make my way to the loo, going past my wife, but at the moment, my pillow is looking way sexier. Heavy arms, still weighed down with slumber, go towards the light switch as I stand before the “throne”, throw back my head, close my eyes, and express my “deep impressions” – and then flush. I am more alert now and I make my way over to the sink, washing my hands and then I walk off to the living room, sink into the chaise lounge, bring out my phone to do some reading – and then it happens.

Once that is done with, I walk towards the study and pick up the guitar. It’s time again for the daily rehearsal. It’s pentatonic and blues scales, some “spider” and permutation exercises, a quick tune, some new chords and then, as a song comes to my mind, it happens.


My obviously better half is up and about now, making light conversation and sorting out a few things. It’s time for a quick workout and again, it happens. I rush off to start my son’s day with a kiss and a quick bath, and as we splash and play in anticipation of a long day ahead, I am grateful for life and it happens.  
Then it’s time to face traffic and driving and work and the hustle and bustle of the day. It’s calls and memos, chats and charts, seething while sitting at meetings – and every now and then, naturally, IT happens, simply because I need strength, help, assistance, someone to talk to, someone to confide in, a succor; simply because I am human. IT happens because it doesn’t require kneeling or piety or special garments or ceremonies but just a knowing that God Almighty has CHOSEN to bend over backward and to be interested in me. 

And “it” is prayer – natural communion with the Most High…

Comments

Popular Posts