Rest...




What started out like a very normal day – actually, like a beautiful day – turned ugly. It started with a walk down the street.
Actually, it started with the beach.


I was going to meet with my friend, Joshua, and the plan was just to take time off from my ever busy schedule to talk, catch up, spend time and just relate like friends do. Nothing prepared me for what the day was going to bring.
Joshua sat down staring at the sea as I came before him. He turned, looked at me, his bright face pensive, his ever burning eyes not smiling – and naturally, I was worried.
“Is everything all right?” I asked.
“That’s my line,” was his quiet reply.
“Ok.” I was looking forward to talking to my friend, but his pensive mood was a bit unnerving. I instinctively knew something was wrong.

Joshua had been my best friend for years. We had worked on several projects together and accomplished a lot of things because he knew virtually everything there was to know about anything, so getting results – with him – was a ride in the park. Along the way, however, I had more and more to do and as I got more involved with my work, my family, my life… Well, you know how it is. The less you talk to someone, the more you sort of drift apart…

“I’d like to show you something,” he said, breaking into my thoughts and running muscular arms through his thick wavy hair, eyes never leaving the swirling ocean. With all the intensity of the moment, I had forgotten I was at the beach to just spend time with my friend.

“Follow me!” and then he was off. I smiled and went after him, trying hard to keep up with his athletic form. Years of working in the furniture business, taking long walks and countless risks had hardened his frame, giving him a tough mind and strong body. In contrast, my “one sack” that was beginning to spill over my belt was supposed to be a “sign of good living”, though I felt slower with every passing day. Yes, we were REALLY growing apart.

Splash!

He dove into the strong currents, arm calmly cutting through waves, parting the seas like Moses and the Israelites. I am not ashamed to say I walked as far as I could, feeling the warm water rise from my ankle, to my shiny round tummy and finally my chest – and then I part fell, part dove forward and began to swim.

That was when my day changed.

I had not seen Joshua for a few seconds, not with all the splashing and spray and trying to find my balance. I only felt a strong arm grabbing me from behind and pushing me face first into the water – and by God, I struggled!

All of us have read about envious friends or watched movies where the antagonist turns out to be the best friend of the hero. This was different; I was a few seconds from dying!
I thrashed about in the water, trying to find a foothold, trying to regain balance, trying to latch on to some familiar turf, but his hold was firm. Then I felt his second hand clamp down and push me lower. I forced myself to look into his face as water filled my eyes and my tears mingled with the salty ocean. His eyes, always burning, were locked on mine and I guess it was at that point that I gave up, because I saw only one emotion in those eyes – determination.

I stopped fighting.

As I felt my limbs becoming limp, my thoughts were of my wife and my son. More tears came to my eyes as I wondered what would happen to my loved ones. My head began to swim as I thought to myself, is this what death is like? It was in that moment that I saw the faint smile on Joshua’s face, saw his mouth move and despite the waves, the surf, the spray, the turbulence, the madness, I heard his words:

“Rest”, and for some reason, I did…

Strangely, calm settled over me. All choking ceased. It was as though the more I fought, the more the pain increased, but just relaxing made me realize that living is as simple as breathing.

Breathing…

Breathing???

I was breathing. I was breathing in the sea????

I was alive!
I started to laugh IN THE WATER – and he joined me. Our laugh rang out, strong and clear and I realized how much I had been missing, how much it had been fun to work with him, how much it made sense to keep in touch with him.
We laughed and swam in crazy circles and when it was time for the trip back to my “life”, the thought of my “amazing” life now seemed pale in comparison to the time I had spent with him. However, one question still plagued my mind, and as we came near to the shore I couldn’t help but ask;
“Why was I unable to breathe at first?”

Joshua looked at me and smiled, face wizened with the expression of a sage who has lived for countless years.
“That’s simple, friend. Without me, you can do nothing…”


Footnote: The name "Jesus" is derived from the name "Joshua" or "Yehoshua": which means "Jehovah(God) Saves"

Comments

  1. In living in the perpetual consciousness of our needs and desires we die and in abandoning ourselves to his we live. Time to stop struggling and fighting. He will prevail at the last. So why not today? Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks alot, and apt summary.
      And apologies for responding two years later!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts